Wednesday, Apr 22, 2020
Harbor Dental Society wants to reassure you that you are not alone and we are here to help guide you through these unprecedented times, including members who are practice owners with staff, members managing business and student loans, members who just bought a practice, joined a practice as an associate, just graduated and in job search mode, life members who want to consider selling a practice, and our retired members and yet to be members. Thank you for being our valued members!
Here are trusted resources available to help navigate and take the next steps to move forward successfully. Please reach out to the Harbor office if you have questions, 562.595.6303, or email Harbor's Executive Director email: Kristin@HarborDentalSociety.org and Janet@HarborDentalSociety.org. Harbor has been organizing timely Live Town Hall Webinars so please check your emails on a regular basis for the invitations.
Please continue to visit Harbor's Facebook page for updates https://www.facebook.com/HarborDentalSociety along with the ADA.org/virus, as COVID-19 updates are being added daily. Visit cda.org/covid19 for the most up-to-date resources to help you navigate your dental practice, dental staff, patients, and community efforts.
Quick Links to Resources
Business Resources For California Dental Practice Owners
Stay current with important CA public health advisories and information concerning COVID-19 Infection:
California Department of Public Health COVID-19 Guidance for Dentistry 4/7/2020
The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) is working around the clock to ensure that all Californians have the most up-to-date information and resources to provide to businesses during this time of the COVID-19 pandemic, and at all times. Please use the GO-Biz site for the latest guidance: https://business.ca.gov/coronavirus-2019/. Additionally, you can find more health information and state guidance by clicking this resource page: https://covid19.ca.gov/.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Top 8 Things Small Businesses Need To Do During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- SBA’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Disaster Relief Lending
- Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) guidelines for businesses and employers, preventing COVID-19 and managing self-isolation
- Resources to help your small business manage through uncertainty
- LA SBDC COVID-19 Response Guide
- COVID-19 Business Resource Guide
- EDC SBDC Disaster Preparedness Toolkit
- Legal Alerts on COVID-19
- COVID-19 Document Data Bank
The DOL published a poster for employers to use regarding the FFCRA – a link is here that you can use to print out and post.
OF NOTE – the DOL says the FFCRA is effective April 1 in the guidance.
COVID-19 Updates to Keep you in the Know
Harbor Dental Society is doing our best to keep on top of the ever-changing information related to Covid-19. Please continue to refer to the following sites for the latest information for members.
In order to keep information clear and concise please refer to following sites and links for detailed information.
Practice Closure Recommendations
- CDA revises recommendation - Urges California dentists to provide emergency treatment only
- ADA Issues Release Emergency vs Non-emergency
- Printable Emergency vs Non Emergency Checklist
- Printable Covid-19 Billing and Coding Interim Guidance
- CA Small Business Support Information
- Printable FAQs for California Small Business Owners in the wake of Covid-19
- CHECKLIST FOR CLOSING YOUR OFFICE DURING SIP: Since your offices should be closed, with the exception of seeing emergency patients, here is a handy office closure checklist of things you should be doing before leaving the office - to make sure it is appropriately cleaned, sterilized and to safeguard your equipment during the Shelter in Place. Thanks to our Annual Exhibitor at Henry Schein.
- ADA Lobbies Congress on CARES Act
- ADA Lobbies Congress On Third Coronavirus Bill
- Families First Act & Impact on your practice
Employee /Staffing Related Issues and Concerns
- NEW Employment Law Poster needs to be posted by April 1st (printable)
- CA Employment Law Blog by Attorney Jeannie DeBacker
- CA EDD
- CA Department of Industrial Relations
- HR for Health Employer Obligations & FAQ
- Sample Office Closure Announcement
Infection Control and OSHA Concerns
- ADA's Covid-19 Infection Control Protocols and Procedures Webinar
- OSHA Guidance on preparing workplaces for Covid-19
- Leslie Canham recorded Infection Control in response to Covid19 webinar
- American Public Health Association "Get Ready" campaign
- EPA's Coronavirus Site
- CDC's Coronavirus Disease 2019 Site
- CDC's Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations for COVID-19
- NPIC 's COVID-19 Virus Factsheet
DEA Practitioners 5% Rule Exeception: In an effort to facilitate continuous patient care during quickly changing scenarios that are arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, DEA has issued several exceptions to its regulations. One of these exceptions pertains to the “five percent” rule.The guidance letter, titled DEA Practitioners 5% Rule Exception, provides an exception to the “five percent” rule, allowing for the distribution of controlled substances of more than five percent that a practitioner can distribute to another practitioner during the calendar year. This exception is in effect from January 1, 2020, until the date this exception ends.
HOW TO PROPERLY PUT ON AND TAKE OFF A DISPOSABLE RESPIRATOR: For those treating emergency patients of record and for our specialists taking the most serious of dental emergencies, here is a refresher on How to Properly Put on and Take off a Disposable Respirator
Tax Relief and Financial Resources
We encourage members to follow the IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief page and the SBA Coronavirus Loan Resources page, as well as consult with your tax professional or financial advisor.
- IRS RELIEF PACKAGE Page
- SBA Page (NEW – updated information on EIDL Loans – loan forgiveness is based on $1000 per employee to a maximum of $10,000)
- SBA Lender Locator Tool - Trying to find a lender for SBA loans/PPP loan? This tool helps members find a lender closest to them.
- NEW ADA’S SBA RESOURCE CENTER Small Business Administration Loan information and resources for dentists- Understanding the Options for Dentist Owners
- Eide Bailly has developed a Small Business Administration Loan Application Document Checklist to assist dentists with gathering the necessary filing documentation. Click here to download the checklist.
- The California Franchise Tax Board has extended state tax filing and payment deadlines until July 15. Federal taxes also don’t have to be filed until July 15.
- EIDEBailly Informative weekly podcasts for dental practices, hosted by Art Wiederman, Dental CPA.
- For additional information contact ODLL@usdoj.gov
CDA Presents Cancelled
California Dental Association cancelled CDA Presents, scheduled for May in Anaheim, in accordance with public health guidance on coronavirus. Details about registration refunds and other convention information can be found here.
Donation Portal for S. California Hospitals in need of PPE
A surge in the number of COVID-19 cases in the United States is straining the supply of personal protective equipment (PPE) for hospitals across the country. The purpose of this site is to help connect hospitals and healthcare professionals with their local communities. Let's do our part to provide our healthcare professionals the equipment they need to fight COVID-19.
How to help those in need